Friday, February 5, 2010

Berry Banana Coconut Muffins


I found this recipe on postpunkkitchen.com.... it's a very funky website that promotes the vegan lifestyle.  I haven't tried these muffins as of yet, although I'm sure they'll be in the oven within the next 24 hours - the comments under the post (click here to check 'em out) sold me on the already delicious looking recipe.  Because of the wheat free thing I'm doing - I plan on using a wheat free/gluten free flour and some xanthan gum....or spelt flour...we'll see.  Because they are vegan - I don't have to worry about changing up anything milk ingredients

Let me know if you try them, we can compare notes :)
love Hoola...



Berry Banana Coconut Muffins 
prep time: 5-10 minutes | cooking time: 15-20 | makes 6-8 muffins
I love to cook vegetarian & vegan food, and am always looking for new recipes. I made this recipe because I wanted something more exciting for breakfast than the usual bowl of cereal. I store them in the freezer- great when you're on the go! (http://www.majlandonline.com)

Equipment:
Large Mixing Bowl
Small dish (to soak berries)
Muffin Pan
Muffin baking papers

Ingredients
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/8 c. soymilk
1/8-1/4 c. finely shredded coconut (as much as you like- preferably unsweetened)
1/8 cup + 1 tbsp oil (or applesauce if you want this low-fat)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 c. dried blueberries or 1/8 c. dried cranberries
1 large (preferably ripe) banana mashed


Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees


Boil 1 cup of water and soak the dried berries...
Mix all the dry ingredients together
Add the soymilk, oil & banana & mix well
Strain the berries and add to the mix

Batter will be thick

No comments:

Post a Comment